Financement des études

Funding your studies

Because access to the Grandes Ecoles must be open to all, EM Normandie has listed all the ways to fund your studies, whatever your social circumstances. There are many solutions available, so you should not hesitate to contact us for further information.

The annual amount varies between €1,009 (level 0 bis) and €5,551 (level 7). Applications are made online (with more info available via the Hub), usually from mid-January to late April on,, or

If you are registered with another ‘Académie’, you must send them a certificate of attendance. The CROUS in your former ‘Académie’ will then forward your file to its counterpart in your new ‘Académie.’

Specific Aids

Financial aid may be obtained in two ways:

  • Either as an annual allowance granted to a student who is facing long-term difficulties
  • Or as one-off aid to a student who is experiencing severe but temporary difficulties, as a means to provide a rapid response to a request for personalised financial aid  Learn more

Merit Grant

Granted to final year high school students who will be granted state aid and who have scored ‘With Highest Honours’ (mention Très Bien) on their leavers’ examination (Baccalaureate). This aid is paid during the three undergraduate years or for any other course of study of the same duration. To benefit from the Merit Grant, a student must submit a ‘dossier social étudiant (DSE)’.

This aid is also granted to Social Grant holders on the ‘Dean’s List’ when they complete their bachelor’s degree and who wish to pursue a master’s programme (further information on your CROUS site). Learn more 

Local Authority Grants

These are means tested, with amounts that vary according to the region and ‘département’ in question. If you wish to apply, you should contact the various bodies: 

  • Conseil Régional de Normandie for regional grants
  • Conseil Général in your ‘département’ of origin
  • The City Hall of your parents’ town of residence
Mobility Passport for Overseas Students

Funded by the ‘Ministère de l'outre-mer’, this mobility passport allows to fund one return trip per academic year for students in the French Overseas Territories, who study in mainland France, French territories or the EU, pursuing studies that are not offered locally or where there is insufficient local provision. To apply or renew your application, you must contact LADOM.

Erasmus Grant

These grants cover travelling and living expenses incurred by students who take a period of study in a European country that is a member of the Socrates programme. The Erasmus Supplement only applies to students for whom the Ministère de l'Education Nationale is responsible, and are supplemental to the EU Community grant. The amount varies according to the destination and duration of stay. Both the grant and this supplement may be combined with a Social grant obtained in France.

Charitable Grants

The Eiffel Foundation is a tool developed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development to enable higher education institutions in France to attract the best foreign students to degree programmes at Master’s and doctoral levels. 

The Fondation de France helps students exiting ‘Classes Préparatoires’ who are experiencing financial difficulties to pursue higher education despite these difficulties.

Bank Loans
Bank Loan

The easiest solution is certainly to take up a bank loan. If you are reluctant to borrow a large amount from a bank, you should be aware that these institutions offer favourable terms to Business School students, with repayment deferred until the end of your studies. 

Offers by partner banks:

  • BNP
  • Crédit Agricole
  • Société Générale
Unsecured Loans with BPIFRANCE (formerly OSEO)

This loan is reserved for students who cannot provide a loan guarantee. The French state will then step in, via Bpifrance.

The application should be made to partner banks, and is limited to a total amount of €15,000 per student. This loan is open to all students who are aged under 28 and are French or EU citizens, whether or not they are the recipient of a social grant, with no requirement for a personal guarantee or a minimum personal income.

Financing your Continuing Education

CPF (Individual retraining leave) may allow for funding of your studies by the OPCA of your professional industry or by Pôle Emploi employment exechange. For long-term study programmes, the CPF may be increased or an application for a CIF may be more appropriate.


CIF (Congé Individuel de Formation) is the ideal scheme for long-term qualifying and certifying training programmes and those leading to professional retraining. 


VAE, Validation of Prior Experiential Learning, may allow you to resume your studies in order to get your experience certified by a state accredited degree.  

Pôle Emploi and/or the Region

Pôle Emploi and/or the Region (Chèque Force, Chèque Région, etc.) Pôle Emploi may fund training programmes for people in receipt of unemployment benefits. ARE and the Conseil Régional fund training programmes for people who do not draw unemployment benefits. 


Exceptionally, CROUS may grant personalised financial aid to students under 35 who are in difficulty. This may be paid on a one-off basis or for the duration of the academic year.  

Other schemes
Student Jobs

A Temporary Employment Service is available at the Maison de l'Etudiant (Caen and Le Havre) or at the CROUS on Contact their services for more information.  

The School’s Student Societies offer students temporary jobs to help them finance additional costs that are sometimes somewhat hefty. Contact the Student Societies concerned: Jobs Services (Caen, Le Havre and Paris) and Normandie Junior Conseil (Caen, Le Havre and Paris).

Cooperative Programmes

Each of our Cooperative Programmes may be on an Apprenticeship Contract and/or Professional Integration Contract. Funding varies depending on the specific contract.  

Apprenticeship Contract

The student must be under 26 and commits to a two-year employment contract with a business.  The student will be an employee and will draw a salary (see table below). This is financed by the Apprenticeship Tax that the company undertakes to pay back to the School. In this case, the student benefits from a total waiver of all fees.

Professionalisation Contract

The student signs a short-term or permanent employment contract and enjoys the status of an employee. There is also a waiver of tuition fees which are paid by the firm. For any further information, contact the Companies and Careers Service.

Scale for 2018

  Cooperative Programmes Professionalisation Contracts



Year 2 of PGE (M1): 61% of SMIC*

Year 3 of PGE (M2): 78% of SMIC*

Bachelor: 53% of SMIC*

All programmes :

Under 21: 65% of SMIC*

From 21 to 26: 80% of SMIC*

* The minimum basic salary (SMIC) as at 1 January 2018, was €1498.50 gross (on the basis of a 35-hour week). Gross Hourly Rate: €9.88.

Suppplementary Pension Funds

Some supplementary pension funds will contribute to tuition fees in the form of exceptional financial aid.

Applications must be submitted before November of the current academic year, when you will be given forms by the EM Normandie caseworker. Check with your parents’ pension fund beforehand. 

Near home
get in touch
Funding your studies (French version)